More Thanh Words

"My name is Thanh and I'm a Blogger". Now that I have admitted to that, I can say that I'm a stereotypical "geeky" Engineer who enjoys sci-fi books and movies and into all things technological. I also love music and have a passion for FOOD. I'm a social person and like to talk to people. I hate people who are fake or overly aggressive. If you're also into some serious discussion, with a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of real emotion, then please read on.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Australia - Top 4 Live Show

I'm glad they got rid of the solo performances and have gone back to the tried and true formula of partner dancing. Instead of swapping partners for each of the two dances tonight, the pairs stayed together.
Previous posts about the shows are here
Top 10 Live Show
Top 10 Verdict Show

Top 9 Live Show
Top 9 Verdict Show

Top 8 Live Show
Top 8 Verdict Show

Top 7 Live Show
Top 7 Verdict Show

Top 6 Live Show
Top 6 Verdict Show

Top 5 Live Show
Top 5 Verdict Show

Vanessa and Rhys
Vanessa and Rhys kicked off the show with a Hip Hop piece by Supple. I had really high hopes about this routine as Kate and Rhys did a routine by Supple last week that I thought was the best routine of the whole series so far. Vanessa and Rhys did a good job dancing to "Tambourine" by Eve. I love that song by the way. I first heard it on the American SYTYCD and it is so catchy.

The second dance they did was a broadway number. I haven't seen West Side Story so don't really know what it should look like. The only thing close to it was when Kate Cebrano did he final Dancing With The Stars freestyle routine to the same song from West Side Story. I have to say, Kate's routine in Dancing With The Stars was better than tonights one.

Vanessa
Vanessa wasn't strong enough in her first hip hop routine. She tried hard but the moves just weren't sharp enough. In the second broadway routine, I thought she did a better job at acting it out, but as the judges said, that character is supposed to be much tougher and less girly.
Routine 1: 3/5
Routine 2: 3/5
Likeability: 4/5
Overall: 10/15

Rhys

Rhys was pretty good in the hip hop. His moves were sharper than Vanessa but still not quite sharp enough. He did shine in the broadway number. His pop style really suits broadway and the exaggerated emotions on his face works for this style.
Routine 1: 4/5
Routine 2: 4/5
Likeability: 4.5/5
Overall: 12.5/15

Kate and Jack
Kate and Jack did a Quickstep first up to a very catchy version of "Spiderman" by Michael Buble. The routine was choreographed by Leanne Bampton. Although Jason said he didn't know who she was, I think he must have been bending the truth a bit. Maybe he couldn't mention that she was on a whole series of Dancing With The Stars, taking Ian "Dicko" Dickson to the last three or four contestants. Jack and Kate did the wonderful routine so spectacularly. I loved the quick steps across the floor and the mid air splits was a highlight.

I didn't think Kate and Jack could outdo their first routine, but they did. Again, Supple choreographed a hip hop routine to "Singing In The Rain" of all songs. The remixed version of singing in the rain was used to full effect by Supple. The whole routine was perfect. From the old Hollywood feel start, to the middle fast/slow parts, to the perfect ending. I now have to say that this is the best hip hop routine of the series so far. I'm really liking what Supple is doing. And when it's performed by great dancers such as Kate and Jack, it is magical.

Kate
Kate was great in the Quickstep with her nice turns and partner work. In the hip hop, she was sharp when she needed to be, and smooth when required. Her timing with Jack was unbelievable. I'm really starting to like Kate more and more.
Routine 1: 5/5
Routine 2: 5/5
Likeability: 4.5/5
Overall: 14.5/15

Jack

For me, Jack has been the perfect dancer so far. He hasn't put a foot wrong regardless of who he has worked with. He has brought out the best in everyone he's partnered. And only his solo was good enough for me. His quickstep and particularly his hip hop were top notch. When he did the bounce off the floor move in the hip hop, it showed how versatile and great he is.
Routine 1: 5/5
Routine 2: 5/5
Likeability: 5/5
Overall: 15/15

Demi and Henry
Demi and Henry started with a House routine. The routine was a bit of a mess since they both weren't in time and it just felt weird. Learning that Demi missed some steps probably explained the messy feel of the routine. It lacked the energy required.

Demi and Henry did a contemporary routine to a nice song that I don't know who sang. It might have been Simple Plan or Good Charlotte or one of those soft rock bands. The routine was ok, but when its not really memorable, it means it didn't really hit the right notes. They both tried hard but their lack of technique brought the routine down a bit.

Demi
I expected Demi to be better at House, but she was hesitant and unsure instead. She did bounce back to do a good Contemporary routine with great emotion. There was a lot of joy in her dance and face during the contemporary routine.
Routine 1: 3/5
Routine 2: 4/5
Likeability: 4.5/5
Overall: 11.5/15

Henry

Henry was also rather messy in the House routine. He too bounced back in the contemporary routine and did a great job in emoting joy to the audience.
Routine 1: 3/5
Routine 2: 4/5
Likeability: 3.5/5
Overall: 10.5/15

Rhiannon and Graeme
Rhiannon and Graeme did a Burlesque routine to "Sweet Dreams". The song was covered by a band in a rock style rather than the original version by the Eurythmics. I always thought Burlesque was the Moulin Rouge type thing, but apparently it is a style. The routine was ok. I liked the intricate moves but didn't really feel the two dancers.

Their Jazz routine was performed to Madonna's newest song with Justin Timberlake "Four Minutes". The routine was sharp and played well to the song. They both did great with the dancing but the routine lacked a little choreography wise to be a fantastic routine

Rhiannon
I wrote from the start of the series that Rhiannon exuded sensuality. Well she showed it tonight in the Burlesque routine. In the Jazz routine, she was good but her over the top style is too much sometimes.
Routine 1: 4/5
Routine 2: 3.5/5
Likeability: 2.5/5
Overall: 10/15

Graeme

Graeme was ok in the Burlesque but didn't quite exude that sensuality required. He was much better in the Jazz where he could use his technique to good use.
Routine 1: 3.5/5
Routine 2: 4/5
Likeability: 3.5/5
Overall: 11/15

As it currently stands, if I were to pick a Top 4 individual for the finals in terms of dancing, I would choose Jack, Rhys, Kate and Rhiannon. But if I chose dancers in terms of who I wanted to be in the final, I would choose Jack, Rhys, Kate and Demi. I think that Demi has improved so much and deserves to be there. My pick for a winner currently would be Jack. Unless his performances start to drop off badly or someone else starts producing amazing stuff, I think Jack has proven himself to be the best and most loved dancer and would be a deserving winner. So I'm going to lay it on the line and pick Jack to be the eventual winner now.

13 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

For the record, the backing music to Henry and Demi's contemporary routine was "Nine in the Afternoon" by Panic! At The Disco.

I thought Jack and Kate stole the show, too! I *loved* the Singing in the Rain performance.

4/07/2008 8:33 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Thanks for that Cindy. I knew it sounded so familiar. Actually this morning I was listening to breakfast radio and another Panic At The Disco song came on and I thought, I bet that song from SYTYCD yesterday night must be by Panic At The Disco.

Jack is my favourite now. He's taken over from Demi due to just being so good.

4/07/2008 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack has always been my favourite from the top 20 because they didn't show him before that which was sad since he's the best now. I don't live in Australia but I love that show.
I really want Jack to win because he deserves it.
I was so excited when him and Demi were back together for the top 6 performance and they rocked.
JACK ALL THE WAY FOR THE WIN
He's done superb in every dance...I just love Jack, he's awesome
from N

4/21/2008 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey it’s anonymous from above again…
Forgot to say something
I agree Jack is soooo likeable and he seems sooo nice
I loved him meercat/ferret thing he was so good at it and so cute
Whoever you are who made this site You rock for giving Jack 15/15
Yay yeah
I hope Jack did well in the top 4 performances....well he always does anyway.

4/21/2008 9:38 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hi N, if you're not in Australia, are you watching the dances from the official website or Youtube?

It is really strange that Jack was one of the least featured contestants during the audition stages. They may have interviewed him twice only. I guess it's because he doesn't have some sad story. He's just a good dancer. The same can be said for Kate. She too was hardly shown during the audition stages. But with her dancing, she has also made the whole country love her.

The top four performances are up on the official website. Go there and watch the videos. I gave Jack a perfect 20/20 for his four routines, which you can read about here.

4/21/2008 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's N again
Believe it or not they run the show in New Zealand. So I don't have to watch it in the web i can just turn on the tv.
They run it a week after the actual show though so that's sad.
Yay you rock for giving Jack 20/20 I still haven't watched their dances but I've read about them and they sound amazing (especially Jacks's one)
Hey I noticed that too! when Jack did little things to improve the contemporary with Demi especially at the start when he put him foot down to exaggerate the machine movement.
I can't wait to see the cha cha and the two guys one.
I keep wishing Demi was younger because they would make an amazing couple...so sute...
Anyways...I hope Jack wins, i'm going to be on the web to find out who wins and if it is Jack i'm going to be over the moon.
I'm so glad he got the broadway routine...
JACK ALL THE WAY FOR THE WIN

4/22/2008 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N again...I always forget to say something
The videos on the official website can only be viewed from australia so I can't watch the.
SAD

4/22/2008 8:58 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

Hi N, so they run the show in New Zealand. I was wondering why I was getting readers from NZ.

Just wait till you see the broadway routine with Jack and Rhys. That has got to be one of the best, or even the best routine of the season.

I agree with you that Jack does the extra little things that just make his performances at a higher level.

So they block the videos if you're not in Australia. I didn't know that. I guess Youtube is your other option. Or you have to just wait a week while you read my reviews. Thanks for continuing to read my blog.

4/22/2008 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N again
I'm counting down the days till Friday here, I can't wait to see the broadway routine...I'm more excited because they said Jack was slightly better than Rhys...YAY
I think Jack now has 99% chance of winning...of course i may be being a little bias but still

Yeah I go to youtube when I want to watch them ahead I love reading people's comments...good comments

2 more days to go....NOOO
It was so good that he got his dream routine in the top 4, I was wondering when he would get broadway cos he kept getting contemporary.
ANYWAYS
Jack for the Win!
Vote for Jack people in Australia for people who cant in New Zealand.

4/23/2008 8:49 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

N, the broadway routine is amazing. You will notice that both the guys were evenly matched in terms of the overall movements, but it's the extra swing and hand and leg flicks that made Jack better. I wrote that on my notes already and then Jason Coleman noted that too.

You never know regarding these reality contests. Just because someone does well and seems popular (as far as you can tell) doesn't mean they will necessarily win. Hence, I've voted for Jack to help him win.

I started writing about SYTYCD Australia because I was like you previously. I was trying to watch the American version but we were a week or two behind them so had to go online to see what others had written. Hence I decided to write about this series so others can read about it.

Let me know what you think after you see the routines on Friday.

4/23/2008 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's N
Wow the top 4 was amazing though I thought the quality of the dances lessened because they had to do so many but they were still great. Did't really like Kate and Rhys's one although the choreography was cool.
The broadway I have to say was brilliant and I loved Kate and Jacks one. Have you noticed that Jack is always smiling? that's cute
The group dance was awesome -it was okay that demi stuffed up a little because she got over that so it was fine.
Oh man it's the final there tomorrow isn't it...I'm going to be on the web to see who wins. Thanx for putting this topic up, it helps people who can't watch it at the correct time.
You can never tell who wins because sometimes the best person doesn't always win and that's just sad but i'm still hopefull and hopefully Jack wins.
Can't wait to see it.
PLEASE WIN JACK

4/26/2008 11:34 AM  
Blogger thanh7580 said...

I totally agree with you N. Jack said so himself, how they were so tired having to do so many dances that week. Wasn't that Broadway routine the best. Kate and Jack's routine was also very good.

Jack does smile a lot, which really makes the audience get into this routines I think.

The final is on here tomorrow. I've got the tape ready to tape the show just in case I don't get home in time from the footy.

I'll make sure I post about the show and write about the winner right at the end, in case you don't want to read about it.

4/26/2008 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's N
Are you kidding me I'm going to be on the net right after the show finishes there to see who wins so please can you say who won right after they announce it. And I do want to read about it
Hey, It's today...YAY

Yeah I agree the broadway routine was excellent...They were so syncronised. The floor work was amazing...That would've been very hard
I can't wait till they announce the winner..hopefully it is Jack because he is the most deserving of it...what I can't believe is that he's only 19 and he can do any style of dance.
I really want him to do some tap because I saw a video of him and his dance group doing tap and it was so cool.

Hope you have fun watching it tonight...well I hope you get home in time as well.
JACK FOR THE WIN!

4/27/2008 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home